Hello OCRS families,
Well, it was quite the first week of school for 2022! Thank you to all families, staff and students for your flexibility and during a week that included our first distance learning snow day and quite a few absences due to the omicron surge. We're still expecting absences to be increased this week, but hopefully that will begin to improve as we get closer to the end of January.
Please know that we continue to have all of the school COVID protocols in place to keep students and staff as healthy as possible while at school. We know that some families are concerned about sending their child to school during the omicron surge, however the school will continue to be conscientious because we know that it's best for students to be in school, in-person whenever possible.
Please bring back Chromebooks, cases, and chargers
We ask students to please bring their Chromebooks, cases, and chargers back to school with them. Don't forget those chargers!
Back to School Report #18
Like last year, Dr. Paolucci will share a weekly report with Smithfield families to provide the latest information on COVID-19 information and protocols. If you have not already read this week's "Back to School" report shared by Dr. Paolucci and our district COVID team, please take a few moments to review it at https://www.smithfield-ps.org/article/621812.
Social and emotional learning resources for parents and caregivers
New RIDOH COVID guidelines for PreK-12 schools
As you may have heard, the RIDOH has shared new COVID guidelines for schools that are more consistent with the latest CDC guidance. We are still adhering to the guidelines that have not changed, such as requiring and monitoring mask wearing indoors. Here are the important changes:
- The isolation period for students and staff that test positive for COVID has been reduced to 5-days. Students and staff can return to activity on Day 6 if they have been fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication.
- The quarantine period for students and staff that are exposed to someone that has tested positive for COVID has been reduced to 5-days. Students and staff identified as close contacts can return to activity on Day 6 if they have been fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication.
- If the student or staff member is fully vaccinated OR has tested positive for COVID in the past 90 days, they do NOT need to quarantine if they are symptom free.
- If student or staff member is not showing any symptoms AND were identified as a close contact because they were exposed at school, they can attend school during their quarantine period by participating in the Test to Stay program. A signed consent form is required in order to participate in the Test to Stay program.
- If a student or staff member tests positive using an at-home COVID test, they are still considered positive, but should still follow up and get tested at a testing site.
- Anyone 18 years old or older is now considered fully vaccinated only if they have received their booster shot.
Recording of January 5th meeting
As you know, the January 5th PTA meeting was held online and here is a link to view a recording of that meeting.
Upcoming Dates and Events
View and subscribe to the OCRS Public Events Calendar at https://oldcounty.smithfield-ps.org/o/old-county-road-elementary/page/monthly-calendar. Clicking on the "Add to Google Calendar" to subscribe to the calendar on your own calendar app.
NO SCHOOL, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday January 17th