Hello OCRS families,
We know that a number of families are currently experiencing food insecurity due to the situation surrounding the COVID-19 precautions. The Smithfield Public Schools are grateful to be able to begin to provide free "grab and go" lunches beginning on Tuesday, April 14th. Here are the details:
- (UPDATED) "Grab and go" lunches will be available for pick-up Monday through Friday (beginning on Tuesday, April 14th) from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Old County Road School, 200 Old County Road.
- Everyone 18 years of age and younger is eligible to receive a free "grab and go" lunch and a breakfast. Parents may also pick up meals for children in their family that are not with them.
- On Fridays, meals will also be distributed for the weekend, one lunch and one breakfast per day for each child.
- Meals will be prepared and distributed by staff from the district's food service provider, Chartwells, and these staff will be required to wear a mask and gloves.
- We strongly encourage all families that come to pick-up meals to follow the recommendations of the governor and wear a face mask. This is for the safety of all families and district staff.
- A strategy that has worked well across the state is for families to pull up in front of the school and pop their truck/tailgate so that meals can be placed directly in the back of the vehicle.
We are very thankful for the cooperation and support of our partners at Chartwells, along with the Smithfield Public School facilities staff, that are allowing this program to happen.